1.-2. Introduction, phylogenesis of the immune system (innate-, adaptive- and natural immunity). Composition of the immune system. Organs, tissues, cells, molecular components.
3.-4. Molecular components of the immune system. 1. Antigen recognition molecules: Immunoglobulins, T cell receptor. 2. MHC and antigen presentation
5. Innate immunity: inflammation, leukocyte migration.
6. The complement system.
7. Communication between the cellular components of the immune system. Co-receptors and adhesion molecules.
8. Cytokines and their receptors.
9.-10. Genetics of immunoglobulins, organization and expression of antigen receptor genes. Central B-cell development. Central (thymic) T cell development.
11.-12. Humoral immune response. Beginning of the specific immune response: T- and B cell activation. T-dependent and T-indepenedent antigens. Extrafollicular- and germinal center reaction. Affinity maturation. Isotype switch.
13.-14. Immunological memory. Comparison of the primary- and secondary immune responses. Vaccination.
15. Effector functions of immunoglobulins.
16. Effector mechanisms of cell-mediated immune response (CMI)
17. Suppression of the immune response.
18. Regional immunity: MALT and SALT.
19-20. Allergies and hypersensitive reactions.
21-22. Tolerance and autoimmunity.
23. Immune components of the oral cavity. Molecular and cellular elements of the oral immune system.
24. Immunology of dental caries.
25. Immunology of periodontal diseases.
26. Oral mucosal diseases.
27. Congenital and acquired immunodeficiencies.